[Popcon-developers] Please review new description and question text

Alain Schröder alain at parkautomat.net
Sun Jul 30 09:51:44 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 30.07.2006, 09:39 +0200 schrieb Bill Allombert:

> So when the atime get actually updated ?

If you browse a directory using Nautilus or Konqueror they both try to
get the mime type using filemagic. This means all atime stamps in the
directory are updated.

This is also true if you use the context menu in GNOME/KDE to open a
file with another application, then using 'choose' to find a program not
already in the list.

These cases should be recognisable as outliners, since you get a HUGE
amount of recently used packages.

> If we do not know how to interpret the data, the data is useless.

I don't think the data is useless. We only need a 'outliner detection'
to have reliable data. Also I don't think that these cases bias the
result a lot. But it is worth looking into this deeper.

> This is a loss of privacy without any benefit.

I don't think it is a loss of privacy, since at this point the data is
totally anonymous.

Bye,
   Alain