[Popcon-developers] Per-country results

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Oct 23 09:43:15 CEST 2006

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 08:42:31AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Enrico Zini]
> > My question was actually another: is it possible to add some
> > geographical data to the popcon data?
> Well, it is probably possible.  But making the submissions less
> anonymous can only be used after getting the active approval of each
> individual submitter, so I am not sure it will ever happen.  I'm not
> sure it is something we should aim for either.  If popularity-contest
> become too privacy invacive, we might risk that a lot of people no
> longer want to use it.

Agreed, this is what I wanted to talk about: I was wondering if there
can be ways of extracting some geographical data out of popcon without
introducing new privacy issues (like, aggregating data by geographical
area, but when a geographical area (say, Ethiopia) has less than say
1000 submissions, aggregating on a larger geographical area (say,
Africa) ).

Other ways can be aggregating based on the existence of a package (for
example, localisation packages), however not necessarily all
installations in a country have localised packages: servers, for
example.

I'll just take no for an answer right now.  Too bad, because it would
have been useful, for example, to automatically make localised Debian
distros with a different package distribution in the CDs.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>