[Popcon-developers] Using popcon internally at my work

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Jul 6 11:46:48 UTC 2007

[Anton Piatek]
> I am assuming that currently popcon will be reporting all our
> internal packages to popcon.debian.org. I don't know if the Debian
> server will be filtering only the packages that exist only in
> Debian, or if this is done on the client, or at all. Can anyone tell
> me?

Non-debian packages is not filtered out.  They show up on
<URL:http://popcon.debian.org/> under the 'unknown' section.

> Also, your thoughts on the best way to get package popularity inside
> our company would be most appreciated. Mostly just our custom
> packages (all from one repository server, but no real distinctive
> naming conventions are used) but perhaps all Debian packages would
> help our packagers too.

We are fine with having such non-debian packages collected.  It give
us an idea about what popular packages are missing in Debian.

The server side of popcon is included in the examples directory in the
popularit-contest package.  It is perfectly doable to list several
email addresses and HTTP URLs on the clients to report to several
collectors.  This is for example done by the Debian Edu project, see
<URL:http://popcon.skolelinux.org/>.  It is a bit work to set up, but
not too hard.

> I thought about building a package that just sets a cronjob for another
> popcon run with my own config file, that way it won't interfere with the
> Debian popcon and will use all its binaries/scripts. Is this a good idea
> or not?

No need to do that, at least.  Just list both URLs in the config file.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen