[Popcon-developers] Debian popcon will soon pass 70 000 submissions

Dusty Wilson dusty at hey.nu
Tue Nov 27 19:39:25 UTC 2007

On 11/27/07, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> On 26/11/07 at 23:27 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > In not too many days, the number of debian popularity-contest
> > submissions will pass 70 000.  Is this something worthy of an
> > annoncement to the press?
> >
> > See <URL:http://popcon.debian.org/> for the current numbers.
>
> Ubuntu has more than 300000 popcon submissions. Do you know if there's a
> reason for that, or does Ubuntu simply has more users or more users
> willing to participate?

I use Debian for my servers and Ubuntu for my desktops.  I would
rather not run anything "extra" on my servers and therefore don't
enable popcon.  I don't care about the desktops and may allow it to be
enabled there.

The Ubuntu Live-CD/Graphical Installer doesn't ask.  Or at least I
don't recall seeing the setting.  If I remember correctly, the textual
installer does ask and I think it selects the enable option by default
(if you just press enter).  My desktop (Ubuntu 7.10) was installed
with the live-cd and it doesn't seem that popcon is enabled.  I ran
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest" and it had "No"
pre-selected when it asked to enable it.  I assume that means it isn't
enabled by default by the Ubuntu 7.10 live-cd installer.

And I agree completely that "70k submissions" might be spun by the
media to say "70k users", which is completely incorrect.  I'm not sure
I'd go out to press with that.  Could it be stated a different way
instead?  It'd have to be in an unspinnable way, if that exists.