[Popcon-developers] popcon and removed packages

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Aug 13 05:20:27 UTC 2008

[Franklin PIAT]
> Was there some though about having version numbers ?
> I understand that some people could consider this as a security
> issue, and should be made optional.

We discussed it, but as it would change the amount and type of
information collected, it could only be done if we are sure every
affected user is aware of such change.  It is not only a security
issue, it is also a privacy issue.  Because it would be an invasive
change, we decided against it.

> If I were to submit such patch (client+server-side), would there be
> a chance to get it applied, and enabled by default (assuming the
> quality of the patch match your standards, of course) ?

I suspect such change would have to be done in a different client side
package, to allow users to do the choice when installing popcon
without affecting existing users.

If we are going to collect more information, there is more of it on
the wishlist already.  For example information on hardware installed
(lspci,lsusb,lsscsi, etc) and kernel modules loaded would be most
welcome.  But as I said, I believe it is better to make another
package to collect this.

There is one in Ubuntu already to collect hardware info, btw.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen