[Popcon-developers] stable Packages.gz is UTF-8

Bill Allombert Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Mon May 5 18:31:47 UTC 2008

Hello Petter,

(As far as I remember you made that change by looking at files
under /org/popcon.debian.org/logs/)

debian.changelog claims that
  * Correct charset handling in popcon.pl for ISO-8859-1.
  * Change popcon.pl to handle the fact that
    /org/ftp.root/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-*/Packages.gz is not
    UTF-8.  Otherwise it would croak on a name containing 'ó'.

but this statement is not true, just try
file -z /org/ftp.root/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-*/Packages.gz

What might happens is that this file is not 100% valid UTF-8, but
this does not make it valid latin1 either.

The result is that the file by_maint are completly wrong, because
maintainers whose name is 8bit appears twice, once correctly and once
mangled (Search for 'rkan').

So I would like to know the specific issue you met, and to fix it properly.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.