[Popcon-developers] To the maintainers of the Debian Package Popularity Contest

xu.zhang at telecom-bretagne.eu xu.zhang at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Nov 16 16:04:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm a phd student in the department of Computer Science at
Telecom-Bretagne, France. I'm writing to ask for your help which will
be greatly valuable for my research work.

The subject of my thesis is "a distributed package management
network". Our project aims at constructing a decentralized
infrastructure that facilitates the deployment and distribution of
free software packages in the future Internet (just like what apt does
today but in a fully-decentralized manner and with more concern on
user-generated software).

In order to study the main properties of package distribution as well
as to launch simulations, we are currently trying to collect trace
data from individuals (ex: students in our school) who wish to provide
information of their own systems (installed packages, version of each
package, update history etc). However, it is very difficult for us to
obtain anonymous data from a large scale, non-administered network.
That's why the Debian Popularity Contest has greatly attracted our
interest. So our request here is, could you please allow us to access
your database which contains the raw data collected weekly? We promise
that this data will only be used for research purpose. It will be very
helpful for us to have this information. Pleas let us know if you have
any question concerning our project. Thank you in advance.

ZHANG Xu

Tel: +33 0229001561
Department of Computer Science,
Telecom Bretagne, Technopôle,