[Popcon-developers] Debian derivatives guidelines: popcon

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Sat Apr 2 07:50:27 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 15:30:07 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> Hi all,

Hey Paul,
just my two cents on this matter.

> Currently the Ubuntu popcon does not comply with this suggestion[3].
> The Ubuntu popcon server has about 20 times the submissions of Debian,
> do the popcon devs think that adding them is a good idea? If so, would
> the Ubuntu folks be willing to add the Debian popcon server back in to
> the list of servers for user submissions? This will skew popcon
> results in favour of desktop users but would also give the DEX/Ubuntu
> project[4] a better idea about which packages to focus on for adding
> Ubuntu packages to Debian[5].
>
> 5. http://dex.alioth.debian.org/ubuntu/new-packages/

Ubuntu's popcon is already present in UDD -- and Utnubu used it:

    http://utnubu.alioth.debian.org/missing/bypopcon/

Those are the missing packages, sorted by (Ubuntu) popcon -- modulo some
"blacklisted" ones (those with *ubuntu* in the name, for example, or "firefox",
"thunderbird", or other similar things).

I still haven't had time to merge Utnubu's infrastructure into DEX/Ubuntu -- I
hope I could do it in a timely manner.

Regarding your suggestion: it's be nice if popcon.debian.org could
also distinguish from where the data is being submitted -- so we can ourselves
make statistics about derivatives (supposing that other derivatives have their
own popcon server).

My 2¢,
David

--