[Popcon-developers] Debian derivatives guidelines: popcon

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah at jeremiahfoster.com
Fri Apr 15 08:15:41 UTC 2011

On Apr 2, 2011, at 09:30, Paul Wise wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The derivatives guidelines[1] mention popcon[2] and suggest submitting
> to both popcon.debian.org and popcon.example.org.
>
> Can the popcon devs (CCed) please comment on this suggestion, is it
> appropriate to do that?
>
> Does anyone know of any distributions other than Ubuntu that have a
> popcon server and modify popcon to use it? The derivatives census
> indicates only that Ubuntu has a popcon server.

We began such a project in Maemo and in fact a popcon tool was implemented. The people that were working on it were demotivated by Nokia's switch to rpm based distros, i.e. MeeGo and work stopped. FWIW there was also work done on a lintian tool called maemian which was designed to merge Nokia's changes to lintian into and make lintian more flexible for derivatives. That work also stopped.

lintian is a valuable tool. Perhaps Debian Derivatives can discuss there needs or interests with regard to lintian. I think they would likely be incorporated if they're reasonable. The lintian developer team are very active.

Regards,

Jeremiah