[Popcon-developers] [Patch] Would like to help out with popcon, extensions to hardware info

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Jul 6 20:17:58 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am interested in helping out with patches to popcon.  I've attached a
sample patch, though I realize it will need to be reformatted.  But I
would like to get some comments on the proposed changes, as one of them
is large.

The patch fixes a few minor typos, and does two bigger things:

1) It reports architecture specific libraries (e.g.
"/var/lib/dpkg/info/libxi6:amd64.list").  Under the present popcon
distributed with Ubuntu those libraries are simply not found by the main
loop, and cause a Perl warning when processed.

2) I'd like to propose extending popcon to report some limited hardware
details.  I'm interested in eventually submitting a patch to have
popularity-contest report machines on which suspend and resume are
working properly for energy savings.  In order to do that requires
knowing the vendor and model of the motherboard.

Having an idea of the hardware in use can help guide regression testing,
and more importantly help users select hardware.  In this case if the
goal is to build a Linux box with maximum power savings, it is very
helpful to know which types of hardware work well with suspend in the field.

Popcon was designed to collect package data.  But it has a large
installed base, which makes it a very interesting platform to collect
hardware data.
Plus it's written in Perl, which I like ;-).

The privacy implications of collecting such data seem compatible, in
spirit at least, with the privacy implications of what popcon is doing
now.  What are your thoughts?  How open are you to extending popcon's scope?