[Popcon-developers] [Patch] Would like to help out with popcon, extensions to hardware info

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Jul 28 14:16:45 UTC 2011

[Bryce Nesbitt]
> The privacy implications of collecting such data seem compatible, in
> spirit at least, with the privacy implications of what popcon is
> doing now.  What are your thoughts?  How open are you to extending
> popcon's scope?

I would love to extend popcon in this direction, but I know my
co-maintainer believe it is a bad idea due to the valid arguments he
have put forward.  Because of this, I believe it is better to
implement such collection in a separate package.

There are several possible alternatives available to do this.  I
believe one is already used by Ubuntu, and I recommend having a look
at it and see if how hard it would be to port it to Debian.  I suspect
it is written in Python, but that should not be a blocker for a
programmer. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen