[Popcon-developers] status of executables?

jeff at linuxwest.com jeff at linuxwest.com
Wed Mar 2 23:54:03 UTC 2011

Thank you for replying so quick.

Indeed, mounting with strictatime did yield the desired result. I can
see how some "false positives" *could* happen:

1) Opening a directory with a GUI file manager changes atime (to obtain
file types).
2) Executing `file` on a file. Same as above.
3) Doing a `grep foo *` within a directory opens the file.

In addition to the required mount option, do you consider these to be a
problem? Do you deal with these "false positives" or do you consider the
result an acceptable margin of error?

My interest comes from working on a similar project. I had the same
problems and came up with a complicated solution. However, if you
already solved the problem, then the only reason to continue working on
my project is it's not necessary to get atime to achieve the end-result.
Albeit, that in itself may not be enough to continue my project since
somebody wishing to use Popcon can simply enable the required mount
option (at some performance cost, I suppose).

With respect,
Jeff Wicks