[Popcon-developers] is there a historical data per participant?

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Thu May 10 02:42:32 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking care about the popcon -- it is a unique and
irreplaceable resource, and so far it seems to work ok even on a
'server' side for our http://neuro.debian.net/popcon where we
complement users' /etc/popularity-contest.conf with
SUBMITURLS="$SUBMITURLS
http://neuro.debian.net/cgi-bin/popcon-submit.cgi" thus enabling them to
submit to both Debian (and Ubuntu) and us (NeuroDebian).

From time to time we are trying to get a better sense of dynamics not
only of how many users of any particular package there are, but how many
users of a particular kind (i.e. using some number of packages from a
given set, e.g. packages we maintain in Debian).  Clearly that is
impossible to deduce based on available summary files (located under
/srv/popcon.debian.org/popcon-mail/all-popcon-results).  It would
require historical data for
/srv/popcon.debian.org/popcon-mail/popcon-entries, i.e. submissions per
each participant in the past.

From a brief look I do not see such data available anywhere on
popcon.debian.org (i.e. popov.debian.org) but I cherish the hope that
may be someone was collecting such data (e.g. properly archiving it into
some DB; or via some other means, e.g. as wild as tracking the content
of popcon-entries under GIT or some other VCS).  Is there such
historical data available anywhere and accessible (to DDs)?

May be the content of this host has previous backups stored
somewhere so at least scarce snapshots of past points could be
recovered?

If not, would you consider it feasible to setup such historical data
capture at least going forward from now on?  I would be glad to
contribute the implementation and just wanted to check first on
the necessity and feasibility ;)

With best regards,
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences