[Popcon-developers] popcon & derivatives

Paul Wise pabs at debian.org
Fri Oct 26 01:30:25 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Currently, popcon in derivatives other than Ubuntu submits to
popcon.debian.org and we don't have any way to determine which of those
are Debian users and which are users of derivatives. I would like to
propose a few changes to make this situation nicer and have attached a
couple of preliminary patches.

It would be great if we could distinguish between Debian users and users
of derivatives. I propose that the popcon submission script call
dpkg-vendor to find out what distribution it is running on and then
include that information in the first line of the report.

It would be great if derivatives did not have to patch popcon in order
to add their popcon server to the list of servers to submit to. I would
propose that we get that added to the Debian dpkg origins file and then
have popcon query it to find out additional servers.

base-files: /etc/dpkg/origins/debian
http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/patches/b/base-files/

It would be great to have a list of derivatives and their popularity on
popcon.d.o so that we can gauge our relationship with users of
derivatives and determine where people use our work.

It would be great if we could accept submissions from derivatives (inc
Ubuntu) users and differentiate them as per the above proposal. This is
may not be possible for Ubuntu due to the volume, but it would be good
to check with them how many submissions they actually get.

It would be great if we could de-brand the popularity-contest package so
that it can fit into derivatives without any cosmetic changes like
removing the word Debian, URLs or logos etc. I propose that the package
Homepage point at either popcon.a.d.o or a wiki page with info about the
project. The Homepage should probably include links to the popcon of
derivatives.

It would be great if the above changes would mean that derivatives
didn't have to patch popularity-contest at all. AFAICT, only Ubuntu are
currently making changes to popularity-contest. I'm not sure how to
achieve this while also making Ubuntu users not also submit to
popcon.d.o, maybe a "Popcon-Debian: no" option in dpkg-vendor stuff.

http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/patches/p/popularity-contest/Debian_popularity-contest_1.53_Ubuntu_popularity-contest_1.53ubuntu1.patch
http://patches.ubuntu.com/p/popularity-contest/popularity-contest_1.53ubuntu1.patch

--
bye,