[Popcon-developers] popcon & derivatives

Paul Wise pabs at debian.org
Sat Jan 25 06:11:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Bill Allombert wrote:

> Is that the kind of issues you are concerned about ?

I was thinking mostly about the ways in which Debian uses popcon
information; the QA removals, package sorting on CDs and so on.

> My position is that if you change the popularity-contest package,
> then you have to change the version.

There are ways to enable/disable popcon without altering the package;
installing it by default (or not), preseeding the question about
enabling it during install. Many derivatives are for primarily for
preinstalled situations like government institutions, schools etc.

Do you think we should suggest to derivatives in general to install
and enable popcon? I will add this advice to the derivatives
guidelines, unless you want to do that yourself.

Do you think we should suggest that linGobEx people enable popcon on
their install base, IIRC from my visit to Merida, Extremadura they
have or plan to have several thousand installed machines, around 1000
at the moment.

> Does linGobEx set the Vendor field ?

The email didn't mention if they do that or not but I am guessing they
don't yet.

> The use of public key cryptography is an issue.
> One proposal was for derivatives to add a package popularity-contest-foo
> that adds their public keys and drop a file in /etc/popularity-contest.d which
> make popcon to report to their own server in addition to the Debian server
> encrypted with both keys.

That seemed like a good idea to me.

--
bye,