[Popcon-developers] popcon written in python

David Wahlstrom david.wahlstrom at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 21:03:10 UTC 2014

Hello popcon-devs,

I have been working on a re-write of the popularity-contest application.
 This originally started off as being a learning exercise to both test my
reading of perl code and to have a new project for some python code.  I am
mostly happy with the current state of what I am calling pypopcon and
wanted to share my work:
https://github.com/drwahl/pypopcon

There are some interesting (to me, at least) changes to this product as
compared to the currently used popularity-contest code.

First, pypopcon explores all the files that a package provides and checks
for atime (instead of just a key binary a package provides).  I believe
this increases the accuracy as some package ship with multiple binaries and
the one that popularity-contest uses isn't always the most used binary from
the package.

Secondly, pypopcon is showing a pretty decent performance increase (and
there is still room for more).  On my system, popularity-contest takes
about 15 seconds to run whereas pypopcon is taking about 8 seconds to run.
 One thing that is interesting about this metric is that pypopcon is
actually getting the atime/ctime of more files than the perl
popularity-contest script, so it's actually doing more work than
popularity-contest is, and it is doing it in less time.

I'd love to contribute this work to the debian project if it seems like
something that would be beneficial. If you have any questions, I'm happy to
answer them.  Also, I'm comfortable making packages, so if that would be a
desired next step, I'll happily do so.

Thanks,
David W.
--
Unix, because every barista in Seattle has an MCSE.