[Popcon-developers] Raw popcon data repo schema and access questions

Bill Allombert ballombe at debian.org
Thu Sep 18 15:01:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 10:06:07AM -0400, Pavan Gupta wrote:
> On my first question, I was essentially looking for a database schema.  My
> goal was to discern whether you were collecting any kind of metadata about
> the final data you are aggregating and presenting.  Generally, answering
> that question openly may still be of value for people interested in
> understanding how the data they deliver to popcon is being collected and
> processed.

We do not use a database. Instead we store reports (meaning the output of
/usr/sbin/popularity-contest) as they are received, keeping exactly one
by HOSTID (see /etc/popularity-contest.conf).
The amount of data stored is about 10GB. We update 1/7th of that everyday.

> And no problem, I shall look to solve this problem elsewhere.  Keep up the
> great work!

Well, there might be people on this list with more experience than me in
datamining popcon.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>