[Popcon-developers] improving the graph on the static pages of popcon.debian.org

Stéphane Blondon stephane.blondon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 07:33:08 UTC 2015

Le 31/07/2015 00:39, Stéphane Blondon a écrit :
> I've done a quick demo with the demo picture replacing the real first graph.
> The picture is limited in width in HTML like the current one (but not in
> height) and is clickable to see it in full screen.
>
> It's temporarily hosted at
> http://stephane.yaal.fr/tmp/popcon-demo1/DebianPopularityContest.html

As I didn't get reply after few message public and private, this is my
last questions/proposal:

I think it would be better to replace the current Perl script by a
fully new script in Python because Matplotlib is callable by Python. I
didn't find a Perl library to bind with Matplotlib in CPAN (but I'm a
beginner in Perl, perhaps I just missed it).

I think it would be good too to use a template engine to generate the
HTML files. Several ones exist in Python. The engines based on Jinja2
have my preference because Jinja2 is used in several others tools (Flask
framework, Ansible, Salt, etc.) so it would be easier for other people
to come in.

What do you think about:
- replacing libchart-perl by matplotlib?
- using a template engine to generate HTML files?
- rewriting the script in Python?

I'm ok to do it and propose you a (Python + templates) version and
maintain it. However, I will not start such work if no one plans to
integrate it.

I fully respect your choice and I will contribute in another Debian
field if you are not interested.

Regards,
Stéphane