[Python-apps-team] Spe's Debian packaging feedback

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 26 23:08:24 UTC 2007

Hello Stani!

Stefano and I have been working on Spe to update it in Debian. We are going to
maintain it in the Python Applications Packaging Team:
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonAppsPackagingTeam

While working on it, we have done some things which would be useful for you to
have in the source tree. Having them on your side would also mean that more
people would benefit from them.

Stefano has created a manpage. And we have a .desktop file from the old
packaging. I'm attaching them to this mail.

There's also the problem with wxGlade, kiki, winpdb, pychecker... All of those
modules are developed externally, and thus we believe it's a good idea not to
have them included in the source tree, as that means there will be no benefits
from bug fixes and improvements in those packages. So that's why are removing
them (wxGlade, kiki and winpdb at this moment) from the binary package, and
linking to those modules, which are available externally. This means less
maintenance work for us, and of course for you! So we would like to have your
opinion on the matter. Would it be possible for you to remove them from your
source tree? Specially wxGlade, which is big, but probably the rest too.

Also, we don't know what to do with pychecker. From plugins/pychecker2/NOTES.txt
I see that pychecker2 is a rewrite of pychecker, but it doesn't seem to be
available externally. I've found the original pychecker in the net, and we have
it packaged in Debian, but I can't find any pychecker2. Did you rewrite it
yourself? And, is Spe using pychecker2, pychecker, or both? I'd like to get rid
of it too, but I'm not sure it's safe to do it and link to pychecker's package
because of the rewrite. Any guidance on this would be more than appreciate.

I know removing those plugins from the source tree would mean removing some
functionality from the IDE, but aren't they plugins? So I'd suggest you making
them optional. If the user has them installed, then they will work. Otherwise,
they can't be used. What do you think?

I've made a patch which removes the hashbangs from imported scripts. Could you
please apply it if it's ok? (attached).

Stefano has also worked on a setup.py distutils script, although as we have
removed kiki, wxGlade... we want to know what do you think about it to remove
those from the setup.py too (in fact I already did it, but it's our svn
repository so the one with those plugins is publicly available).

Finally, we would appreciate a lot if you could make a tarball whenever you do a
public release! That would help us a lot. And as minor request, renaming
spe_changes.txt to ChangeLog and using it would be nice (the last entry is from
0.7.4!) and possibly a README.

I Look forward to hearing from you!
Emilio