[Python-apps-team] Spe's Debian packaging feedback

Bernd Zeimetz bernd at bzed.de
Tue Nov 27 01:05:58 UTC 2007

Hi!

>> Stefano has created a manpage.   And we have a .desktop file from the old
>> packaging. I'm attaching them to this mail.

> What would be the appropiate place to put them? In a debian folder?

The appropriate way here would be to install the .desktop file to
/usr/share/applications if you're on linux and the manpage to
/usr/share/man/.....

> With winpdb there  is a small issue. As the winpdb upstream doesn't
> contain an __init__.py file. SPE can not know where it is located and
> SPE needs to import modules of winpdb for its interaction. I always
> added an empty __init__.py myself. Probably you have a more elegant
> solution.

rpdb2 and winpdb are installed as normal modules. There's no need for a
__init__.py file here:

130 bzed at hal:~$ python
Python 2.4.4 (#2, Aug 16 2007, 00:34:54)
[GCC 4.1.3 20070812 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-15)] on linux2
>>> import winpdb
>>> import rpdb2
>>> winpdb
<module 'winpdb' from '/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/winpdb.pyc'>
>>> rpdb2
<module 'rpdb2' from '/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/rpdb2.pyc'>

>> Stefano has also worked on a setup.py distutils script, although as we have
>> removed kiki, wxGlade... we want to know what do you think about it to remove
>> those from the setup.py too (in fact I already did it, but it's our svn
>> repository so the one with those plugins is publicly available).
> I have a setup.py script which is heavily orientated to windows. I look
> how I can best use it.

Best thing would be if the setup.py would work on every platform, htat's
what distutils was made for. Not a big problem to add
platform/architecture specific details, though.

> PS. A bit off topic, you can skip this...
> Right now I am developing also a new application phatch (photo batch
> processor with a nice gui) http://photobatch.stani.be It lets you
> watermark, rotate, resize, apply rounded corners, shadows, ... thousands
> of photos with just one click. To write your own plugins you only need
> to know python & pil as phatch generates automatically all the user
> interface with international support
> https://translations.launchpad.net/phatch/trunk/+pots/phatch. I hope to
> get it in debian too. The structure of the source tarball as you will
> see is quite debian friendly.

If nobody else wants to package it, I'll take that :)

Cheers,

Bernd
--
Bernd Zeimetz