[Python-apps-team] New package for mercurial

Vincent Danjean Vincent.Danjean at ens-lyon.org
Sun Apr 6 22:39:47 UTC 2008

Gerardo Curiel wrote:
> I've finished the new mercurial package, this is the part where I
> request an sponsor :).
>
> Some noteworthy notes about the package:
>
> * It closes a lot of bugs
> * It has been splitted in 3 packages:
>    + mercurial -  main package
>    + mercurial-common - Arch-indep bits
>    + mercurial-web - cgi/fcgi scripts
> * The new highlight extension is enabled by default(uses
> python-pygments)
>
> Here[0] you will find the source package for reviewing.

I made some work on the package before uploading it. It must go
thru new so if you see mistakes it can be replaced before it hits
unstable...

Here is the main part of my changes with some comments:
- remove the mercurial-web package: cgi scripts must be modified by
  the user so this is not good to install them in /usr/share/cgi-bin
  where they will be overwritten at each upgrade
  (I put them in examples/ again in the mercurial-common package)
- ensure proper upgrade with conflict/replace for mercurial-common
  NOTE: this is a 'classical' error to forget conflict/replace when
  moving files between packages. Without them, we got an error if
  we try to install mercurial-common before unpacking the new mercurial.
- move all /usr/share stuff in mercurial-common (python files too)
  => this leads to a lintian warning. This is a lintian bug: #473428
- install docs/examples of mercurial-common in /usr/share/doc/mercurial
- manage hgext.rc with ucf
  => extension are enabled only if dependent packages are here
  => update README.Debian with extension dependencies
  => mercurial does not depend on lots of other packages any more

Once again, many thanks for your work.
I uploaded the package now that that it reaches unstable (and testing)
before lenny freeze. As I said before, if you see other improvements,
other uploads can be made.

  Best regards,
    Vincent

PS: while sitting in new, packages can be found on my webpage:
http://www-id.imag.fr/~danjean/deb.html#mercurial

--
Vincent Danjean                 Adresse: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble
Téléphone:  +33 4 76 61 20 11            ENSIMAG - antenne de Montbonnot