[Python-apps-team] mercurial spec broken

Martin Geisler mg at lazybytes.net
Wed Dec 9 18:58:28 UTC 2009

Vincent Danjean <vdanjean at debian.org> writes:

> Martin Geisler wrote:
>> Vincent Danjean <vdanjean at debian.org> writes:
>>> While I am at it, there are three patched in the Debian package that
>>> can be interesting upstream:
>>> - one that rewrite the doc for zeroconf (proposed by a user)
>>
>> Please send such patches to us! :-) We obviously want everybody to
>> benefit from better documentation.
>
>   You can find it here (proposed_upstream__correct-zeroconf-doc):
> http://patch-tracker.debian.org/package/mercurial/1.4.1-1

Ah, cool -- I didn't know Debian had such a server. The patch looks
good, and I would be happy to push it with the correct author
information. I tried poking around in the Debian bug tracker where I
hoped I could find the submitter but I came up empty handed. Do you
remember who submitted it?

>   As a side note, I know I do not take enough time to fully handle the
> mercurial package. I someone is interesting in helping the Debian
> packaging, please, contact me. A first thing would be to go through
> the Debian BTS and see for each bug if it has been corrected upstream,
> it is forwarded upstream, or if it is really Debian specific. Vernon
> Tang helps me to package new releases but we lack time to correctly
> discuss with upstream of small bugs.

I think you and Vernon are doing a great job with packaging -- 1.4.1 was
released on the 1st of December and I can see it was in unstable on the
3rd of December. That's pretty fast :-)

As for the bug reports:

  http://bugs.debian.org/mercurial

then it seems to me that the vast majority of them should be forwarded
to the Mercurial bug tracker.

You used to be able to interface with Mercurial's bug tracker via email,
but mails sent to mercurial-bugs at selenic.com bounce at the moment. If
that is reenabled, then you should be able to simply forward bugs to
that address to create a new issue in our tracker.

>>> - one that remove the shangline from modules that are used as modules
>>>   and not as plain programs (ie not installed in /usr/bin nor invoked
>>>   directly)
>>
>> I see #! in lsprof.py and simplemerge.py. I think it's been left behind
>> because those files have an upstream version too, and so it's nice for
>> us to change as little as possible in them.
>
> Ok, this seems a good reason. If you do not change this in the next
> release, in my next upload, I will rename this patch as
> deb_specific_... with the reason you just gave me in comment.

Please go ahead, I don't think we'll change this.

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multiparty Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.