[Python-apps-team] Getting RabbitVCS 0.15 into Ubuntu 12.04 repos

David Seaward dseaward925 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 06:46:50 UTC 2012

Hello,

While testing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1, I (re)discovered that RabbitVCS
(a version control client) is out-of-date in the Ubuntu repos. I think
it is out-of-date in the Debian repos too.

This is significant, because the old version (0.13) only works in
Gnome 2, whereas the new version (and a new package) works in Gnome 3
(and 2). The current version (0.15.0.5) has resolved related issues
and has been in use in the wild since November 2011.

According to https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rabbitvcs the
maintainer for RabbitVCS is the Debian Python Modules Team, but I
think this is an error, because RabbitVCS is an application, not a
Python module, so I am posting to this list.

I am not sure how to proceed in requesting that the right people
package the latest version for inclusion in the final release of
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I'm guessing the first step is getting it updated in
Debian? If anyone on this list could point me in the right direction,
I'd appreciate it. (I'm not a member of the RabbitVCS project, I just
want my colleagues to be able to install it easily :) )

Downloads are available here http://wiki.rabbitvcs.org/wiki/download
and here http://code.google.com/p/rabbitvcs/downloads/list

Ubuntu PPA is available here: https://launchpad.net/~rabbitvcs/+archive/ppa

David Seaward