[Python-apps-team] trac debian packaging in git instead of svn

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Nov 6 07:16:40 UTC 2012

hey python-apps-team folks--

I've been playing around with the trac debian packaging, looking at the
possibility of preparing a 1.0 upload (closing #690018 at some point).

I personally find git much more useful as a revision control than SVN,
so i have converted the trunk of the svn repo to a git repository, which
i've published here for anyone interested:

 git://lair.fifthhorseman.net/~dkg/trac

(i couldn't figure out how to get git-svn to import the tags and
branches into git as well)

I also used git-import-orig to import the upstream tarballs (including a
pristine-tar branch) so that the entire package can now be built from
git alone, going back to the version in squeeze.

Is there any interest in using this approach for trac packaging in the
python-apps-team?

I'm not sure how to request a new git repo from the alioth project (i'm
only a member, not an admin), but i'd be happy to import this repository
to alioth if other people want to use it and share a central git repo.

I notice that there is no /srv/git.debian.org/git/python-apps on vasks
yet.  Are other people on the team interested?  I don't mean to kick off
a VCS flamewar, of course, but i'd be happy to contribute more to the
trac packaging if i didn't have to stumble around SVN to do it.

Regards,

          --dkg