[Python-apps-team] Backporting of cython to oldstable

Joe Healy joehealy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 13:13:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm in the process of backporting cython to oldstable.

When doing so, the simplest approach is to strip out the python3 support.

I believe (but haven't yet done so cleanly) that it would be possible
to build python3-cython. Additionally, to run the tests properly, I
would need to backport numpy to python3 in oldstable. I know nothing
about the feasibility of this.

This gives three possibilities:

1) strip out python3 support for squeeze.
2) include python3, but strip out the python3 numpy tests
3) backport numpy and python3

My preferred approach is option 1.

This is because for salt, we only need python2 support. Given neither
cython nor numpy have been backported to python3 in oldstable
previously, there doesn't appear to a great deal of demand for it.
Additionally, due to the other packages I'm planning to backport
shortly (libzm3, python-zmq3 and salt) to both stable and old stable,
I'm reluctant to add to the work load involved.

What are other peoples thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Joe