[Python-apps-team] Proposed package: caffeine

Reuben Thomas rrt at sc3d.org
Wed Dec 11 00:19:46 UTC 2013

Caffeine is a small system tray/appindicator program that allows manual
control of the desktop's idle state, allowing the user to prevent
screen-blanking, suspend &c. It can also automatically inhibit idleness
when particular programs are running:

https://launchpad.net/caffeine

It's been quite popular for years with Ubuntu users despite only being
available in a PPA. It has been unmaintained for some time, which has
provoked articles such as the following:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-caffeine-2-4-1-on-ubuntu-13-10-13-04-12-10-12-04-linux-mint-16-15-14-13-elementary-os-0-2-and-pear-os-8/

For me personally it has overcome various problems with screensaving in
GNOME 3 for the past couple of years, being sufficiently useful that I
offered to take over maintainership, which I did recently.

I have fixed most of the outstanding bugs (including all non-wishlist
reproducible bugs), and made a new release. Now I would like to get
Caffeine into Debian.

Looking down the list of teams, this seems the most suitable. Caffeine is
built with (py)Gtk, but it's desktop-neutral.

Would anyone be interested in being the packager if I submitted a WNPP? I
am not a Debian packaging expert, but i have overhauled the packaging for
this release, and it is now very simple (thanks to recent improvements in
Python packaging, I guess some of those reading this may be responsible, so
thanks!).

I'd be very happy to do any remaining work upstream needed to Debianize
caffeine.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org