[Python-apps-team] Eric package

g1234 at arcor.de g1234 at arcor.de
Thu Feb 28 08:39:24 UTC 2013

First things first: I am using Linux for more than 20 years now and I am using Debian for more than 10 years by now. I am sure it is the best thing ever!

Regarding the Eric package. I am running Debian testing because of Gnome 3. I am running it on multiple computers with NVIDIA graphics hardware. Since the debian supplied nvidia packages are still completely unusable I have the drivers from the nvidia website installed.

In the testing package repository there is version 4.5.3 of eric. This version of eric produces screen freezes on my computers all the time.

I downloaded version 4.5.8 or eric4 from the eric website and it works almost perfect. I urgently ask you to upgrade the eric package in testing to version 4.5.8 too.

The only issue I found with version 4.5.8 of eric by now is, that it is impossible to start eric as a background task. When starting it from the terminal via "eric4 &" it brings up the eric logo and stopps in the stage to gernerate the main window. The ps and the jobs command claim eric4 as suspended then. The only way to get eric4 running is to bring it into the foreground. When eric4 is running in the foreground and so conntected to the terminal, everything works perfect except trying to hit ^Z in the console window to interrupt eric4 and than bring it in the background. All the terminal does in this case is show ^Z in the terminal window, but it does not suspend eric4.

I opend an issue on http://die-offenbachs.homelinux.org, it has issue ID 85 and the title "Eric4 does not start as background task on Linux", but detlev claims he is running eric4 on openSuSe with KDE and has no such problems at all and therfore rejected the issue.

I already verified Gnome 3 in classic view and KDE in my debian environment. They provide the same result. When started as a background task, eric4 brings up the logo and stopps processing with the message "Gernerating Main User Interface..." and keeps on initializing only after I enter fg into the terminal window.

Bringing it all together: Not being able to run eric4 disconnected from the terminal is nothing against freezing the screen, as version 4.5.3 does, version 4.5.8 is alot better than version 4.5.3 so please put it into testing, or even stable and get in touch with detlev to resolve the background task problem which seems to be unique on Debian (at least wheezy).

Thanks alot Richard

P.S. If anyone needs more information, I will be glad to help with more testing!