[Python-apps-team] Adopting rawdog

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Mon Jul 15 11:28:34 UTC 2013

Dear python-apps-team,

I'm the author of rawdog, a feed aggregator that generates static
output; it can be used as a personal aggregator or as a "planet" (for
example, Planet KDE uses rawdog). It's written in Python using the
feedparser module.
  http://offog.org/code/rawdog/

rawdog's been packaged in Debian since 2004, and popcon shows about 140
installations at the moment, but the package is currently orphaned:
  http://packages.qa.debian.org/r/rawdog.html
I've not heard from the existing maintainer in a couple of years, and
have tried to contact him recently without success.

The few outstanding bugs against rawdog in the BTS are all fixed by the
recent rawdog 2.15 release, so I'd like to get 2.15 packaged, and the
package updated to dh 7, etc. It looks like the updated rawdog package
would be very similar to most of the existing python-apps packages.

I'm a longtime Debian user but not a DM or DD, although I have some
experience with Debian packaging. Would it make sense for me to join the
python-apps-team, in order to adopt and maintain the rawdog package?

(In addition to getting 2.15 into unstable, it would also be nice to
update 2.13 in stable to apply the patch in this bug report:
but I'm not sure if it's worth it?)

Thanks very much,

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>