[Python-apps-team] How to package a program for python2 or python3?

W. Martin Borgert debacle at debian.org
Fri Nov 8 11:49:39 UTC 2013

Quoting "Rogério Brito" <rbrito at ime.usp.br>:
> I maintain a moderately popular program called youtube-dl that is currently
> set up to run in Debian with Python 2.
>
> Fortunately, youtube-dl is well developed and it works under both Python 2
> or Python 3. I have received a bug report in the past few days asking me
> about my choice of interpreter version:
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/723990

youtube-dl is, if I'm not mistaken, an end-user application, not a
Python library. So, I would just opt for one interpreter or another on
Debian and *not* give any choice. For the end-user it does not make
any difference, but the installation size of the respective
interpreter. Given, that most users have Python 2.7 anyway on their
system, it makes sense to just leave it and close the bug report as
"wontfix". Given that Python 3 is the future and could need a boost,
you can just change to Python 3 and close the bug as "fixed".

IMHO, it does not make any sense to support multiple interpreters for
an end-user program, it just bloats the archive unnecessarily.

(Btw. youtube-dl is great, thanks for maintaining it!)