[Python-apps-team] How to package a program for python2 or python3?

Rogério Brito rbrito at ime.usp.br
Fri Oct 25 06:25:31 UTC 2013

Hi.

I maintain a moderately popular program called youtube-dl that is currently
set up to run in Debian with Python 2.

Fortunately, youtube-dl is well developed and it works under both Python 2
or Python 3. I have received a bug report in the past few days asking me
about my choice of interpreter version:

    http://bugs.debian.org/723990

I think that there is no reason why I should be restricting youtube-dl to
pull a Python 2 interpreter when a Python 3 interpreter is already present
and, indeed, I would like to fix this.

Unfortunately, while youtube-dl used to be a single file script in the past,
it is, nowadays, distributed as a bunch of modules (which is good for
maintainership, but bad for distributors).

So, given the situation above, what is the best-current-practice that I
should follow? I would sincerely like to avoid creating a separate binary
package, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Rogério Brito.

P.S.: As I am not subscribed to the list, I would kindly appreciate being
included in CC'ies.
--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito