[Python-apps-team] Thank you for offering FOSS OCR to us

Susmita/Rajib Bandopadhyay bkpsusmitaa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 17:01:33 UTC 2015

Sirs,
Thank you once again to kindling the hope for freedom from the Proprietary
OCR software, particularly, ABBYY finereader.
Sirs, I have tested OCRfeeder and find that some functionality and
interactivity needs to be added, like:

(1) The OCRed text be output onto an editable Wordprocessor rather than
plain text editor with option to
(a) map each block area to a separate textbox at same absolute position.
(b) Allow each block to have the option of spell-checking manually.

(2) Different blocks for image, plain text, formatted text and tables.

(3) Use of only keyboard to incorporate spellings and editing without
lifting fingers from the keyboard with another interactive window with
focus upon it.

(4) Abbyy has a *foolishness* that we *wouldn't* want *us* to *repeat*. *If
you feed a pdf file to Abbyy it converts the characters into images and
then OCRs the image and re-converts them into text, thus incorporating
errors.*

Then we would be proudly say that our open source OCR is the best in the
world!

Alas, sirs, I am a seft-taught computer buff, and am learning scripting and
programming in c. I am very sad not to be able to help you with codes! :-(

Sirs, please consider my suggestions as humble prayer.

Regards,
Rajib Bandopadhyay
Your admirer