[Python-apps-team] Eric6 (17.11.1) still coming downstream and still missing distutils.

Nathaniel Stenzel nathanielstenzel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 00:38:00 GMT 2020

I am using Linux Mint which seems to be downstream from Ubuntu which is
downstream from Debian and it had Eric6 (17.11.1) of which the newest
version is 20.x.x and it crashes right after the logo because it is missing
distutils. It seems that Ubuntu got bug reports on this in 2018. Maybe it
did not make it all the way here. Gudjon I. Gudjonsson was evidently the
original package maintainer according to
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/eric.

If Eric is stuck on 17.11.1 because the newer versions are buggy, that is
understandable but for this packaging requirement to not be resolved in 2
years is somewhat perplexing.

There does seem to be one other fix else than installing distutils.
Someone said "Fixable by manual installation of `python3-setuptools`
package".

I am just trying to make sure this bug goes upstream as far as it needs to
go in order to get this to work. If the fix ends up being making a newer
Eric version, that is even better.