Adding support for backward-incompatible ‘lockfile’ (was: Bazaar workflow)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu May 10 00:23:09 UTC 2012

(moving this development discussion to ‘python-daemon-devel’)

On 09-May-2012, Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> I still need to apply the changes for lockfile - do you know which
> revision corresponds to lockfile 0.9.1?

None.

After ‘lockfile’ version 0.9 was released on PyPI, ‘python-daemon’ version
1.6 was initially released to use it. But that version of ‘lockfile’ was,
according to its maintainer, never meant to be released, and contained
backward-incompatible changes. Soon afterward, I reverted ‘python-daemon’
so that the previous version (1.5.5) was the latest on PyPI.

To add support for the latest ‘lockfile’, just branch from the current head
of the mainline (‘python-daemon.devel’) to a new branch for adding that
feature, perhaps named ‘use-lockfile-0.9.1’ or whatever makes sense to you.
Make your changes in that feature branch, merging from mainline when the
opportunity arises.

If feasible, please make your feature branches available in a public
location (by HTTP, for example) so that I can merge from them when you ask
me to. As an also-workable option, you can just email merge requests to me
containing change bundles created with ‘bzr send’, but it's smoother if you
can point me to a public branch for me to merge from.

--
 \              “Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against |
  `\       unintelligible propositions.” —Thomas Jefferson, 1816-07-30 |