Collaborating on ‘python-daemon’ and ‘lockfile’ development (was: python-daemon support for python 3)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Apr 14 04:53:30 UTC 2013

On 28-Jan-2013, Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> In addition to the contributions Ben mentions, I made a fork of 1.5.5
> that was ported to 3.2, taking a "don't look back" approach. I.e., this
> doesn't support Python 2 at all. You can grab it (and its ported
> dependency,
> lockfile) here:
>
> https://github.com/redsymbol/python-daemon-1.5.5-py3k
> https://github.com/redsymbol/lockfile-0.9.1-py3k

I'd love it if this was on a Bazaar branch sharing common ancestry with the
existing development branch. That would allow me to compare the files
through their history, rather than treating it as a complete disjoint
history.

> I haven't had any problems with this in production code for over 6 months now,
> so I'm calling it stable :)

Great! Thank you for the work.

> That said, I'm wondering Ben if you can clarify how people can contribute
> now for Python 3 support. What kind of pull requests would you like to
> receive, exactly?

Plain diffs work as well as they've ever worked. Which is to say, they are
devoid of VCS context.

Changes on a repository that has no shared ancestry with mine works too,
but is effectively only as useful to me as diffs.

Best, though, is to do the work on a Bazaar branch sharing ancestry with
mine:

    $ bzr branch http://anonscm.debian.org/bzr/python-lockfile/trunk/

and

    $ bzr branch http://anonscm.debian.org/bzr/python-daemon/python-daemon.devel/

This allows you to send merge requests (‘bzr send --help’) so that I get
not just a diff, but the repository's revision data allowing me to make
your change history a part of mine.

--
 \           “Are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “Umm, I think so, |
  `\    Brain, but what if the chicken won't wear the nylons?” —_Pinky |