Not throwing an error when lockfile already exists?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 6 00:21:39 UTC 2015

On 04-Oct-2015, Bill Rees wrote:
> I'm running the daemon with the following
>
> def thesetup(st_out, mf, xf, pidfile):
>         dmon = daemon.DaemonContext(
>                 working_directory='/',
>                 umask=0o002,
>                 pidfile = lockfile.FileLock(pidfile),
>         )

That is quite an old API of the ‘lockfile’ library. For a long time
its API has been to use ‘lockfile.LockFile’, or preferably some
more specific lockfile class.

What ‘python-daemon’ version, with what ‘lockfile’ version?

> and a pidfile already exists in /var/run/immortal.pid.
>
> Once running the process is stuck here, but no error is thrown so the
> daemon can't detect the problem.  Is there a way to see the error?

Can you reproduce the error isolated from a daemon? The error seems to
be produced by the lockfile library, so can you get that to
demonstrate the same behaviour without getting a daemon involved?

--
 \        “[It's] best to confuse only one issue at a time.” —Brian W. |
  `\  Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie, _The C programming language_, 1988 |