Daemon doesn't seem to start

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Sep 30 19:58:48 UTC 2015

On 29-Sep-2015, Bill Rees wrote:
> Without the daemon context I see a steady stream of writes to the
> output file, /tmp/xxxx but with the daemon context there is nothing.
> As far as I can tell I'm preserving the file object and expect to
> see the same stream of writes that I saw without the context.

On 29-Sep-2015, Bill Rees wrote:
> Well the code does work if it runs as root. The lockfile call was
> failing due to permissions problems.

Glad you found the problem quickly!

Note also that, if the program should not have root privileges
indefinitely, the daemon can switch to a different UID+GID immediately
after the DaemonContext opens. Set the ‘uid’ and ‘gid’ options to
specify these.

Thanks for using ‘python-daemon’!

--
 \       “Anyone who puts a small gloss on [a] fundamental technology, |
  `\          calls it proprietary, and then tries to keep others from |