[Python-modules-team] python-twill should depend on python-setuptools ?

Bernd Zeimetz bernd at bzed.de
Tue Dec 18 12:57:03 UTC 2007

Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yep, I know about this bug since two days but don't have time yet to fix
> it (because of my exams). I will upload it at the end of the week.
>
>     Bernd>   my  favourite way  to  fix  this  problem is  by  replacing
>     Bernd> setuptools with distutils. setuptools is a <insert curse word
>     Bernd> here.... Arnaud, if it's ok for you I'll change the package.
>
> I don't really  see the point of using  distutils instead of setuptools?
> ;) I was thinking about to add only python-setuptools in Depends.

In my experience setuptools creatas issues in 90% of the cases where we
used it, also it adds an extra dependency. It becomes even worse if it's
used together with the ez_* stuff, chances are good that it'll download
stuff from the net while building your package.... So What I'm doing
these days is to replace setuptools by distutils whenever I see it, it
saved my nerves often enough....

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd at bzed.de>                         <http://bzed.de/>