[Python-modules-team] libode ABI breackage

Miriam Ruiz little.miry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 11:29:47 UTC 2007

Hi,

libODE (libode0-dev, libode0c2) is a free, industrial quality library for
simulating articulated rigid body dynamics - for example ground vehicles,
legged creatures, and moving objects in VR environments. It is fast,
flexible, robust and platform independent, with advanced joints, contact
with friction, and built-in collision detection. It is used by many games,
as the trends are to provide more realistic behaviour of the engines every
time. While version 0.5 has been in the archive for a while, most of the
newer games demand version 0.8.

There is an ABI breakage between de 0.5 and the 0.8 release of libode. In
fact, there are numerous reports of incompatibilities between versions in
the forums, and the upstream developers apparently don't care at all about
SONAMEs ( [image: [WWW]]
http://bugs.debian.org/379791<http://bugs.debian.org/379791>).
Upstream are using the version number as a SONAME, so it seems they
have
no clue on what they're doing. Even though 0.5 and 0.8 are clearly not
ABI-compatible (segfault), the major number of the SONAME seems to be the
same.
Trying to upgrade to 0.8, and not being fully aware of the problem. we
uploaded a newer version of libode0c2, based on the 0.8 version of ode. It
seems to have been a bad idea, since programs depending on it seem to break.
Thus, we wanted to ask what would be the best way to face this transition.
We should also contact the maintainers of the packages that depend on this
to try to make the transition as easy as possible for everyone.

Packages that depend on libode0c2: python-pyode, xmoto,  python-soya,
python-pyepl, and indirectly:

$apt-cache --recurse rdepends libode0c2 libode0c2 Reverse Depends:

   -

   xmoto python-pyode libode0-dev xmoto python-soya python-pyode
   python-pyepl libode0-dev

python-pyepl Reverse Depends: python-soya Reverse Depends:

   -

   slune python-soya-doc balazar

balazar Reverse Depends: python-soya-doc Reverse Depends:

   -

   python-soya

slune Reverse Depends:

   -

   python-soya junior-games-gl

junior-games-gl Reverse Depends:

How is the proper way to handle this?

Greetings and thanks,
Miry

Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the list