[Python-modules-team] SAGE packages for Debian (fwd)

Timothy G Abbott tabbott at MIT.EDU
Thu May 8 02:06:24 UTC 2008

As described in more detail in my email below, I've been working on
packaging SAGE, which provides an excellent ipython-based interface to
numerous free software mathematics libraries, and its 26 dependencies not
yet in Debian for Debian.  At this point, I am looking for Debian
developers to maintain those dependencies that are useful outside SAGE.

It was pointed out that the scipy sandbox packages python-arpack (#480076)
and python-delaunay (#480071) that I've debianized as part of my effort to
Debianize SAGE (details below) are probably best maintained by the people
who maintain python-scipy in Debian, especially since it sounds like
arpack and delaunay are going to be merged into mainline scipy at some
point in time:

<http://jarrodmillman.blogspot.com/2007/12/end-of-scipy-sandbox.html>

Would the Debian Python Modules Team be willing to maintain these packages
from the scipy sandbox?  My draft source packages are available from my
repository at:

http://stuff.mit.edu/~sage/apt/pool/main/p/python-delaunay/python-delaunay_0.0.20071020-1.dsc
http://stuff.mit.edu/~sage/apt/pool/main/p/python-arpack/python-arpack_0.0.20071020-1.dsc

The python-delaunay package should be essentially ready to upload (though
I'm sure you'll want to check over my work before adopting it; the
Description needs work), while the python-arpack package has some lintian
warnings that I somehow missed.

Another python module that I've Debianized as part of this effort is
polybori (#480077).  It is lintian-clean modulo trivial fixes, though the
rules file is a bit messy because of the issues involved in using scons to
build their packages for several python versions.  My draft packaging of a
polybori release coming out in the next week (which fixes for all the
upstream problems that I found packaging it) is available in my repository
at:

http://stuff.mit.edu/~sage/apt/pool/main/p/polybori/polybori_0.4-0.dsc

So, if anyone's interested in maintaining polybori (or, for that matter,
any of the other packages whose RFP bugs are blocking #455292) for Debian,
I'd appreciate the help.

 	-Tim Abbott