[Python-modules-team] ITP: PySoy

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 10:05:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 06:01, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<jordigh at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/21 Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu at gmail.com>:
>> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 20:03, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
>> <jordigh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am going to attempt to package PySoy for Debian. Miriam Ruiz had a
>>> partial packaging which I will attempt to complete, and I'm taking
>>> over from where she left off.
>> It would be interesting to know why she left:
> She told me it was about the license.

License issues are usually hard to solve without the intervention of
upstream: are they already working on this?

>>> Note that I have relatively little experience packaging for Debian,
>>> only done it once before, but I'm really eager to see PySoy in Debian.
>> Just read the canonical documents: Debian Policy, Developers
>> Reference, New Maintainers Guide, and do be afraid to ask for
>> questions, both on this list or on debian-mentors at l.d.o.
> Be afraid... be very afraid? :-)
> Hehehe. Right. I get your meaning, of course. Thanks again.

yeah, ok, missing "not", but be afraid of the answers though!! :)

> In fact, I already have a question. Since, I'll admit, my biggest
> motivation to package PySoy is to create an actual test case for
> AGPLv3 in Debian, I want to start packaging the svn version (the

argh! what was the result of the long thread on d-legal? is it ok for Debian?

> "stable" release, actually beta-2, is GPLv3). However, I've already

mh, are you packaging the version that's under AGPLv3 or under GPLv3?

> hit a snag: the svn version needs to build with Pyrex, but we
> only have, and it was a NMU no less, and barely two weeks ago.
> I think it would be kinda rude to send a bug to package a newer
> version if the last version packaged was just two weeks ago.

well, claiming a maintainer MIA (as done by duck here[1]) it seems a
little bit to extreme, but if you need a newer version, then file a
bug and request for it.

> Should I work first on packaging a newer version of Pyrex and then
> start on PySoy, or should I work straight with the upstream version of
> Pyrex and just get my packaging started while I wait for someone else
> to package a newer Pyrex and for PySoy to release another "stable"
> version? The PySoy devs told me that they're very close to releasing
> another stable, as soon as their lead dev stops touring the world
> promoting free software or something. :-)

And of course, anyone likes help, if it's a good help: so you can even
prepare yourself an updated version, upload somewhere and mention it
in the bug report, so taht maybe the real maint can "wake up" and

I'd mark your ITP as blocked by the bug you'll report against pyrex,
but since pyrex is a strict dependency of your package, I'd first try
to have its new version available in Debian, and then work on pysoy.


[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pyrex/news/20080829T021703Z.html

Sandro Tosi (aka morph, Morpheus, matrixhasu)
My website: http://matrixhasu.altervista.org/
Me at Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/SandroTosi

More information about the Python-modules-team mailing list