[Python-modules-team] More Work in Progress

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud didier at raboud.com
Fri Aug 14 14:44:31 UTC 2009

clone 540735 -1
retitle 540735 system-config-printer-kde broken because "cannot import name options"
tags 540735 +pending
reassign -1 python-qt4
retitle -1 python-qt4 should not install uic/widget-plugins in /u/s/python-qt4 (but should conform to upstream)
severity -1 important
tags -1 +patch
thanks

Hi all again,

it took me some time to figure it all, and its not necessarily clear at first
sight for everyone. Let me summarize that here :

1) The "ImportError: cannot import name options" error is fixed in the Debian
   kdeadmin svn [0] (actually, it was an update to that patch). This will be
   part of the next upload.

2) The "ImportError: No module named kpushbutton" error is due to a path
   mismatch between python-kde4 (src:kdebindings) and python-qt4. python-qt4
   installs the uic/widget-plugins in a non-standard place (namely
   /usr/share/python-qt4/) . But other packages provides other widget-plugins
   at upstream's original place
   (/usr/lib/python*/*-packages/PyQt4/uic/widget-plugins ).

There are two solutions to this (at least, I see those two):

	a) patch kdebindings to diverge from upstream and follow python-qt4
	b) unpatch python-qt4 to come back to upstream defaults.

I discussed this within the pkg-qt-kde team and the smarter solution for us
(and not because the patch goes elsewhere) would be b), to let Debian follow
upstream and other applications will avoid unnecessary patches. Therefore this
bug is cloned to python-qt4 so that the details for b) can be discussed there.
I prepared a "NMU patch" for this solution [1], but of course, I would by
large prefer to have this discussed with the python-qt4 guys.

Best regards,

OdyX

[0] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-kde/trunk/packages/kdeadmin/debian/patches/01_system_config_printer_kde_cupsutils.diff
[1] http://alioth.debian.org/~odyx-guest/packages/python-qt4/python-qt4_4.5.1-1.2.debdiff