[Python-modules-team] Removing w32 specific Python code from a package

Stephan Peijnik debian at sp.or.at
Thu Feb 26 14:46:58 UTC 2009

Hello debian-python and DPMT,

I have just noticed that a bug against one of the packages I help
maintaining was reported [0] over at Launchpad that is caused by
w32-specific code shipping with my package (python-pyglet).

Now as python-pyglet needs to be repacked because it is not entirely
free anyways I thought I could get rid of this problem by simply
removing the w32-specifics when repackaging the dfsg version of the
tarball.
The code in question implements DirectSound (ie. DirectX) output
support, so I believe I can get rid of it without causing any problems.

I will contact upstream to get this problem solved, so we have a proper
long-term solution, but in the short-term this sounds reasonable to me.

What do you think about that? Is it okay to remove that code as a
short-term solution to the problem?

-- Stephan

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pyglet/+bug/333781