[Python-modules-team] Antlr LICENSE.txt missing in xlwt-0.7.0 source package

Jan Dittberner jan at dittberner.info
Fri Jan 9 07:58:27 UTC 2009

Hello,

in the meanwhile we finished packaging xlwt for Debian. It's currently in NEW
[1] and will have its package page at [2] if it will be available in the
regular Debian unstable archive. Instead of using the included antlr.py we
decided to use the antlr.py from Debian's antlr package [3] that seems to be
compatible with xlwt. You may have a look at the current Debian copyright file
and tell me whether you see anything missing.

[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/xlwt_0.7.0-2.html
[2] http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xlwt.html
[3] http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/antlr.html

Regards
Jan Dittberner

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 04:20:56PM -0800, Terence Parr wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I haven't heard from Wolfgang in a while...CC'ing.  Anyway, ANTLR v2 was
> meant to be public domain but it was a sloppy way to say it.  I'm not
> sure if Wolfgang did something different wth the v2 Python
> output...sorry.
>
> Ter
>
> On Jan 8, 2009, at 4:17 PM, John Machin wrote:
>
>> Hello, Terence,
>>
>> I'm the maintainer of xlwt, a Python package for writing Excel
>> spreadsheets. It uses antlr (currently version 2.7.5) to compile Excel
>> formulas.
>>
>> Here is a message from Jan Dittberner (Debian packager):
>>
>> > Subject:
>> > Antlr LICENSE.txt missing in xlwt-0.7.0 source package
>> > From:
>> > Jan Dittberner <jan at dittberner.info>
>> > Date:
>> > Sun, 4 Jan 2009 21:58:28 +0100
>> > To:
>> > John Machin <sjmachin at lexicon.net>
>>

>> The file antlr.py contains as Jan says the text
>> """
>> ## This file is part of PyANTLR. See LICENSE.txt for license
>> ## details..........Copyright (C) Wolfgang Haefelinger, 2004.
>> """
>>
>> AFAICT, there is no such package or other independent software entity
>> as "PyANTLR". Doing a web search for PyANTLR yields mainly only
>> corroborative evidence -- e.g. an exchange where persion 1 says he
>> can't find any info about pyANTLR on the ANTLR web-site and person 2
>> replies with ANTLR download and installation instructions for folk who
>> want a target=only_Python kit.
>>
>> Having followed those instructions, one finds (on a Windows machine)
>> in directory C:\antlr\277\extras two files __init__.py and antlr.py.
>> The latter is the antlr.py mentioned earlier. The __init__.py
>> contains:
>> """
>> # ANTLR Translator Generator
>> # Project led by Terence Parr at http://www.jGuru.com
>> # Software rights: http://www.antlr.org/license.html
>> """
>>
>> That URL points to the antlr v3 licence. The antlr2 documentation page
>> has only a link http://www.antlr2.org/license.html, which also points
>> to the antlr3 licence.
>>
>> The installed ANTLR includes the file C:\antlr\277\LICENSE.txt which
>> contains:
>> """
>> SOFTWARE RIGHTS
>>
>> ANTLR 1989-2006 Developed by Terence Parr
>> Partially supported by University of San Francisco & jGuru.com
>>
>> We reserve no legal rights to the ANTLR--it is fully in the
>> public domain. An individual or company may do whatever
>> they wish with source code distributed with ANTLR or the
>> code generated by ANTLR, including the incorporation of
>> ANTLR, or its output, into commerical software.
>> """
>> which is quite different to the antlr v3 licence.
>>
>> Firstly, could you please confirm that ANTLR v2 is in the public
> [...]

- --
Jan Dittberner IT-Consulting & -Solutions
Cottbuser Str. 1, D-01129 Dresden
Fax: +49-1805-233633-13337