[Python-modules-team] Review of the copyright file for okasha_0.1.0-1.dsc.

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Sat Jul 10 15:03:36 UTC 2010

user debian-legal at lists.debian.org
usertags 585999 one-copyright-review
thanks

Dear Ahmed,

In the hope of speeding up and strenghtening the processing of NEW I had a look
at your package. The rationale is explained in the proposal in the following
wiki page: http://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReview

I found the two following problems:

1)  files/okasha-docbook.css is not documented in your copyright file
    (Copyright 2003 Tammy Fox, Garrett LeSage, and Red Hat, Inc.
     Copyright 2005 Tommy Reynolds <Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com>
     License: GPL )

2a) files/jquery.min.js is not the “preferrable form for modification”.
    However, since your package is non-free, this is not a blocking problem.

2b) files/jquery.min.js can be considered as an “embedded code copy”. It causes
    the following maintainance problem: in case a bug is found in this library,
    all the packages that would use a copy of this file would have to be modified
    in order to correct the bug. The solution is to depend on libjs-jquery and
    use /usr/share/javascript/jquery/jquery.min.js from there.

In addition, I see that you chose the GPLv3+ for your packaging work; I do
not recommend it, since it is not compatible with “Waqf”: It may cause headaches
if you would like to forward patches or files (manpages, …), that would be
GPLv3+ unless stated otherwise.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy