[Python-modules-team] [bug]python-numpy: NPY_ABI_VERSION is not defined in all header files

Sandro Tosi morph at debian.org
Mon Jul 19 18:55:20 UTC 2010

Hello Changsheng,

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 04:58, Changsheng Jiang <jiangzuoyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> I have installed python-numpy=1:1.4.1-2 on debian/sid, and builded a private
> python extension module based on numpy failed, and report
> NPY_ABI_VERSION is not defined by compiler. I grep-ed all files, only found
> it in a setup.py. Then it's not possbile to build that private extesion
> module.
>
> I have installed the private module successfully in gentoo system, and note
> that there is a _numpyconfig.h file, which defined NPY_ABI_VERSION.

The file _numpyconfig.h is shipped in the package but in a location
(/usr/lib/pyshared/python*/numpy/core/include/numpy/_numpyconfig.h)
not referenced in /usr/include/python*/numpy/ , so it's not found and
the extension fails to build.

We have just fixed that problem in the SVN repository for the package,
and it will soon be made available (we have to fix other problem,
let's see how long they take), so if you want to "workaround" it, you
can change /usr/include/python*/numpy/ symlinks to point to
/usr/lib/pymodules/python*/numpy/core/include/numpy/ (2.6 -> 2.6 and
2.5 -> 2.5), that's exactly what we have done in the package.

Regards,