[Python-modules-team] Debian Sagemath dependencies

RS Chakravarti chakrsc at rediffmail.com
Sun Jun 20 17:02:59 UTC 2010

I don't know enough to help in this except by making comments like this!

Hope you find it helpful.

It seems to me that sagemath need not depend on python

which is a dependency package.

Its dependence on python2.5 should be enough.

Similarly, python-processing could be included in Squeeze/Sid

with dependence on python2.5 instead of python.

The major job of adapting to python2.6 can be postponed,

at least for a little while.

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:53:09 +0530  wrote

"RS Chakravarti"  wrote:

>Dear maintainers,

>Sagemath depends on python-processing

>which is in Lenny (i386)

>but not in Squeeze or Sid.

>Also, it depends on python-2.5

>but not on 2.6.

>Upgrading python removes sagemath.

>If possible please fix these problems.

What this needs is a newer version of sagemath packaged. This is a major job that, last I

heard, the maintainer did not have time for. If you are interested in the package, you

might consider contacting him and asking to help.

Scott K