[Python-modules-team] Comments regarding rabbitvcs_0.15.0.5-1+nmu1_amd64.changes

Andreas Henriksson andreas at fatal.se
Mon Dec 5 16:32:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 11:09:58PM +0100, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> Il 04/12/2011 13:28, Andreas Henriksson ha scritto:
> > Yes but that would mean it's still lower then 0.15.0.5-1~precise which
> > this was based on (which should have been versioned 0.15.0.5-0~precise)....
> > I don't know if that is a good idea, maybe doesn't matter that much since
> > it's a PPA package and not officially uploaded to ubuntu.
>
> I wouldn't care much, as there will always be cases where people upload
> packages to PPAs with weird versions which could interfere with official
> packages. We cannot be responsible for them.

I'd normally agree with you but in this case I think the following
things makes it ok with a minor version bump:

- rabbitvcs is the generally recommended tool for graphical desktop integration
  of svn/git repo handling on the linux desktop.
- the packages in debian has been unusable for a while, so users has
  probably started looking for a solution already.
- The upstream webpage points Debian users to use the PPA....

Thus, ignoring the PPA version because PPAs are usually unofficial crap and
often Ubuntu specific and using the "correct" version number would be a
disservice to our (Debian) users here.

Ofcourse, if anyone feels strongly about this I'll change it since
I don't really care.... Was just trying to be nice to our users.

--
Andreas Henriksson