[Python-modules-team] matplotlib in experimental

Sandro Tosi morph at debian.org
Wed May 4 13:27:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 15:18, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:
> On 05/04/2011 03:12 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 20:33, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Can you tell me what needs to happen for matplotlib 1.0 from
>>> experimental to enter unstable and (eventually) testing? Are there any
>>> critical showstoppers?
>>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=625150 - patches are welcome
>
> I'd like to help, but I don't quite understand the problem yet. This bug
> is against matplotlib 0.99, so wouldn't it be enough to just upload
> matplotlib 1.0 to unstable to fix this?

nope, it's something related to the packaging and/or other
dependencies (sphinx?)

> I also tried to build matplotlib 1.0 myself, to see if that still has
> the bug. I checked out the most recent debian/ dir from
> svn://svn.debian.org/svn/python-modules/packages/matplotlib/trunk/ and
> extracted the most recent matplotlib-1.0.0.tar.gz available from
> upstream. However:

$ svn cat svn://svn.debian.org/svn/python-modules/packages/matplotlib/trunk/debian/changelog
| head -n1
matplotlib (1.0.1-2) UNRELEASED; urgency=low

so you have to use 1.0.1

> $ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
> [...]
>  dpkg-source --before-build matplotlib-1.0.0
> dpkg-source: warning: patches have not been applied, applying them now
> (use --no-preparation to override)
> dpkg-source: info: applying 10_build_fix.patch
> dpkg-source: info: applying 20_matplotlibrc_path_search_fix.patch
> dpkg-source: info: applying 30_disable_sample_downloads.patch
> patching file matplotlibrc.template
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 377.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file matplotlibrc.template.rej
> dpkg-source: error: LC_ALL=C patch -t -F 0 -N -p1 -u -V never -g0 -E -b
> -B .pc/30_disable_sample_downloads.patch/ <
> matplotlib-1.0.0/debian/patches/30_disable_sample_downloads.patch gave
> error exit status 1

of course, patches sometimes only apply on a specific version, 1.0.1
in this case.