[Python-modules-team] bug 625785 (virtualenv -p python3 should work, but doesn't)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri May 6 15:42:52 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I spent about a day and a half tracking down a problem with virtualenv.  As of
virtualenv 1.6 (which is in wheezy), it *should* be possible to use python3 as
a -p target.  This fails because the way virtualenv re-invokes itself does not
play nicely with our symlink farm.

All the gory details are here:

I haven't thought of a good way to solve this problem yet, so I'm hoping
someone here will have some thoughts on that.  I'm highly motivated to fix
this because I'm beginning to research Python 3 compatibility across Debian
and Ubuntu packages (more on that soon).

I also have patches to upgrade to virtualenv 1.6.1, which is the latest
upstream, and which now supports pypy 1.5.  Some of the debian/patches need
updating, but I'd like to solve bug 625785 first.

Cheers,
-Barry