[Python-modules-team] pyopengl accelerator

Marcus Watts mdw at umich.edu
Thu Feb 14 20:17:36 UTC 2013

I have a debian package for the "pyopengl accelerator"
which I'm hoping can find a home in debian.

I've been experimenting with blender and makehuman.
The latest version of blender wanted a newer version of
makehuman, and so I experimented with the "pure python"
version of makehuman.  That uses pyopengl, but it complains
about a missing opengl accelerate package.  Finding *that*
package was a non-trivial effort, and while it turns out to be
optional for makehuman, it does seems to make it run a lot faster.
( The 1.0.0alpha6 version of makehuman probably won't benefit. )
I'm not sure what other packages in debian might benefit
from this, but I'm hoping there are some.

Home page for this,
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyOpenGL-accelerate

Bad refs about makehuman & opengl accelerate,
http://www.makehuman.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8929
http://code.google.com/p/makehuman/issues/detail?id=386
I had hoped for a good reference saying this makes makehuman better,
but apparently the pure python version is still pretty bleeding edge.

What I have,

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mdw/deb/

pyopengl-accelerate_3.0.1-1_source.changes
pyopengl-accelerate_3.0.1-1.debian.tar.gz
pyopengl-accelerate_3.0.1-1.dsc
pyopengl-accelerate_3.0.1.orig.tar.gz

pyopengl-accelerate_3.0.1-1_amd64.changes
python-opengl-accelerate_3.0.1-1_amd64.deb

Please free to use whatever part (or none) of this as you please.

			-Marcus Watts